Summertime coldness – Café frappé, comme en Grèce

[Iced coffee, just like in Greece]

There is this nice place a few footsteps away from Knightsbridge. It has a counter made of salads – more beautiful one than the other – and cakes – most likely blueberry with some kind of oaty crumbles. It also has the cutest waiters. And they make coffee, the Greek way.

In fact, I need to bring my camera next time I go. Most likely tomorrow. Not for the waiters, although I’m sure you wouldn’t mind some serious hotness, but today, it’s more about coldness.

Ice-cubes and coffee. And milk, with a touch of cream too.

Because we can never have enough coffee in our lives, here is the recipe for the creamiest cup you could ever have.

In a one-litre jar, mix 3 tablespoons of instant coffee with 3 tablespoons of cold water and 2 tablespoons of caster sugar. Close the lid and shake away, until light and foamy. Add ice-cubes half-way to the top of the jar. And top with milk. Add dash of cream. And serve in glasses. Or as we do in the kitchen: in mismatched small jars.

Hope you’re having a lovely summer. Mine has been super-busy so far. News and updates to come soon soon.
And PS. thanks to everyone who signed in for the newsletter. The first edition should be on the way very shortly (well, knowing me, that’s more likely to be another month).

14 thoughts on “Summertime coldness – Café frappé, comme en Grèce

• a greek July 31, 2012 at 6:26 pm

The basic frappe recipe is.
    2 tbsp spray-dried instant coffee
    0,1 or 2 or more tbsp sugar depending on preference.
    Shake in a container until frophy.
    Add icecubes and water.

This is how its done in the city it was invented.

Milk, vanila ice cream, cream, Baileys Irish Cream, Kahlúa or any liqueur that fits can be added.

• Margherita@lechatdesucre.com July 31, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Uuuhhh, Fanny!! This will make my hubby sooo happy! Thanks! Can’t wait to try it on his birthday breakfast :-)))

• Helena July 31, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Aaaaaargh! You’ve taken me home with this blog post! How I miss my Greek summers, loaded with Frappe…

• Lucia August 1, 2012 at 10:52 am

You made me thirsty and craving the smell of coffee…

• Magda August 3, 2012 at 11:00 am

Greek frappe is the best, isn’t it? A Greek girl here, who can’t live without the stuff!
    If I’m ever in London, I must visit that place with the cute waiters :)

• Paul August 3, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Beautiful blog – and nice to visit because of that! Thanks.

• Aïda August 4, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Su-su-su-summertime, summertime coldness haha
    Tu me manques! Et c’est magnifique

• Emma-zucchero e zenzero August 7, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Wow! I’m actually addicted to coffee! I’ll try this recipe as soon as possible! Thanks for sharing! :)

• Marion August 15, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Merci beaucoup pour ta recette Fanny, je vais l’essayer de ce pas !

• Morgan September 23, 2012 at 8:50 pm

This became my summer addiction, thank you!

• Mat leave is the best thing ever. Or: why the sleep deprevation hasn’t killed me yet | highdivingboard September 23, 2012 at 8:59 pm

[…] Thank god for all the parent and baby fitness classes we’re doing right now.  Three last week, plus yoga, and then Monday a water fitness class starts to make up for the strollercize that is now over.  In a month, it will be 4 days a week including two classes on Monday, because exercise is my happy drug of choice.  And for the fact that Jess is a very cheerful baby when she’s awake.   These are the things that makes this all tolerable.  That, and my new addiction to iced greek coffee. […]

• Baity kitchen February 16, 2013 at 9:50 pm

[…] I’ve told you about Baity before. Well, mostly about that absolutely adorable guy with the glasses and his Greek iced coffee. […]

• Melting Monday musings | Rachel Khoo December 20, 2013 at 1:28 pm

[…] Keeping with the cooling off theme. A glass of this will certainly keep me refreshed and energised while testing my Christmas recipes  (it’s […]

• Susan Connor February 6, 2014 at 12:52 pm

Would love to get newsletter i can’t get on gacebook or twitter, thanks