On summer secrets – Feta and lemon dip

This is what happens when it’s summer. Or at least when it feels like it.

We swim in the sea, or more accurately, we’re forced by that wave which chose the exact moment we stepped into the water to break into – what feels like – a herd of horses.
It’s cold. For a second.

And then, we decide we could stay there forever. Happily floating on our backs, gazing at the sky, and cliché-edly anthropomorphising the clouds.

And blinking to every ray of sun.

And swallowing a bit too much of the salted water, leaving just enough saltiness on our lips for the vanilla ice-cream we’re about to have to taste just so.

We stay at a café all night. Chatting up and down. A feta and lemon dip comes up. Randomly.

Oh yes, we were talking about the joy of the simplest things.
And Anna-Sarah, the one and only – some would say – my kitchen muse, tells me she’s been making this dip with just feta, lemon, olive oil, garlic, and a little bit of fresh thyme all summer long. She’s found it on a blog. She can’t remember which one though.

Friends she served it to loved it.

Now, I’ll have to admit something, I’m not in awe with feta. But a feta that has a shape of a cube and is lost amongst tomatoes, or in the best case scenario, watermelon dices. Yes, that feta and I aren’t the best friend.

But well, one night, we had crusty bread and roasted vegetables. I then proceeded to blitz feta with the juice and zest of a lemon. And enough garlic and olive oil to make my Italian grand-father Mario proud.

And we called it a dinner. Al fresco. Al fantastico, as a matter of fact.

Feta and lemon dip
Adapted from Paul.

Turns out the blog she took the recipe from is no other than Paul’s. A little beauty on its own. And now the source for my favourite summer secret.

This dip is made in less than two seconds. Espcially since I discovered this method for peeling garlic. It works! (And yes, this totally deserves an exclamation mark, actually I could put three of them!!! Yes, I’m that excited.)
I’m actually thinking about doing a post just for it.
That’s how much I love garlic. And this sweet tattooed guy who is not scared to beat the hell out of a garlic head. Both, I love you.

Just one extra-step Anna-Sarah added is to soak the feta into water twice to get rid of extra saltiness. Of course, you can skip it if you’re a bit short of time, but it is worth it.

Lemon and feta dip

serves four

200g feta cheese, crumbled
juice and zest from one lemon
1 clove garlic
, chopped
80g olive oil
olive oil
, extra for serving
fresh thyme, for sprinkling

Blitz the feta, lemon zest and juice, garlic, and olive oil in a blender until smooth. Scrape into a bowl and drizzle with a olive oil, and sprinkle with thyme.
Serve with grilled vegetables and grilled pita bread. Or even on top of pasta for a fresh sauce.

20 thoughts on “On summer secrets – Feta and lemon dip

• A. September 30, 2011 at 6:10 am

So we’re having a Indian summer too and this seems just perfect. Thank you.

• sooishi September 30, 2011 at 10:41 am

C’est très joli ta nouvelle mise en page Fanny!

La méthode de la vidéo est dingue :D

Merci M. En effet, la methode est super. J’en suis a ma troisieme tete d’ail en une semaine tellement la technique est geniale!

• Delphine September 30, 2011 at 10:49 am

Ton dip est très sympa, très frais ! Parfait pour ces derniers jours bien ensoleillés ! Bises,
    Delphine

• Inês September 30, 2011 at 2:27 pm

In Portugal, temperatures are still reaching 30ºC, so beaches are still full on weekends.

By the way, love the new layout! Very clean and fresh. Very you!

Thanks Inês for the kind words about the new design. Happy you like it!

• peter September 30, 2011 at 5:37 pm

sounds yummy… I have a few silicone hot-pads for the oven, and find that folding it over a clove and then rolling it back and forth a few times works like a charm… like this:http://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Garlic-Peeler/dp/B0042O4W5E only without another single purpose gadget in the kitchen.
    but his method is probably great if you need lots of garlic peeled!
    :-)

Trust me, this method is THE best ever when it comes to peeling a whole head. Plus, you can always peel, then store in an airtight container in the fridge for like five to seven days. Eaaaasy!

• christell September 30, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Ca colle bien avec les apéros que j’ai envie de faire en ce moment.

Et c’est vraiment le dip parfais, enfin avec le caviar d’aubergine, et le tzaziki, et celui aux poivrons rotis, et …

• Lucia October 1, 2011 at 9:27 am

Today is October, but leaves are still green and the sun is still shining. This dip should be perfect with a ripe tomatoes salad too, celebrating the end of this long, never ending, beautiful Summer.

Such a beautiful weather to end an otherwise so-so summer (at least in London).

• leaf (the indolent cook) October 1, 2011 at 11:57 am

This looks and sounds utterly delicious. So fresh and tangy.

• Shaheen {The Purple Foodie} October 1, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Lovely! i have a jar of feta I want to use up to make this. Putting thyme on my list now.

Let me know how it goes. xx

• Moya October 1, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Love the idea of the feta dip, will try this recipe and add some of my preserved lemons finely chopped to it. Your photographs look really tasty.

Ooooh my, preserved lemons are my favourites. It will be VERY delicious. And thanks for the sweet words!

• Run Fast Travel Slow October 4, 2011 at 3:54 am

The dip sounds very fresh-tasting… I’m sure it’s terrific with crusty bread.

• cathy October 5, 2011 at 3:36 am

glad you are enjoying an out of season summer :)

• anna-sarah October 5, 2011 at 7:58 pm

c’est incroyable cette technique de pelage d’ail!! j’ai hâte de l’essayer.

• Row December 3, 2011 at 6:05 am

Love that first pic… beautiful colours! I must try this recipe… I don’t usually buy feta, but I’ll make an exception in this case. :)

• Veggie February 20, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Wow, this looks amazing. Can’t wait for summer days after reading this. :-)

• Metric Enthusiast March 25, 2014 at 8:55 pm

One thing, love the recipe, but the olive oil should me measured in millilitres, not grams.

• 21 DIPS THAT WOW | Best Friends For Frosting May 5, 2014 at 7:00 pm

[…] feta and lemon dip has a great balance of bite and creaminess. (via Like A Strawberry […]

• …nun habt Ihr lange genug gewartet: hier der fetadip zum knusperbrot! | glasgefluester June 6, 2014 at 5:01 pm

[…] kommt die perfekte Paarung zu unserem Knusperbrot. Diesen Dip habe ich auf dem tollen Blog “like a strawberry milk” gefunden, weil ich genau diese Begriffe gegoogelt hatte: “Zitrone, Feta, Dip”. […]

• Sunday Photo Mishmash: Malta in July in several pictures | Claire's (online) Chronicles August 2, 2015 at 1:01 pm

[…] The following morning, on Saturday, we had a giant lunch of delicious pancakes and fancy milkshakes, and then trudged through the hot and heavy Maltese sun to sort out a bunch of bridal shower preparations (including the purchasing of All The Drinks, the baking of scones, and the making of my most famous summer feta lemon dip). […]