On water and flour – Cong you bing or green onion pancakes

There is something about flour bond with water. Something that possibly goes back to those afternoons spent sat on the kitchen counter, watching my grand-mother making pâte brisée [shortcrust pastry], which I would – of course – nibble on.

Of the unbaked kind.

So the prospect of mixing flour and water to a dough, then sprinkled with a generous handful of chopped spring onions – and a pinch of Maldon sea salt – felt like music to me.

Of the indie kind.

I followed this recipe. For those of you who prefer to use scales – and may the gods of pastry bless you for that – I’ve written the quantities I’ve used below.

The resulting pancakes are chewy and yet flaky. And the drawing above should have given you a hint, but they’re rather delicious when served with a drizzle – or more – of Sriracha sauce.

Of the hot kind.

Chinese spring onion pancakes

Makes eight pancakes, or four huge ones.

Mix 315g of plain flour with 180g of warm water, and knead until smooth. Brush with a little vegetable oil, cover with clingfilm and allow to rest for half-an-hour.
Cut the dough into four. Lightly oil your work surface and roll out one of the balls of dough into a thin rectangle at least 30x35cm.
Finely chop a bunch of spring onions and sprinkle on top of the dough along with a pinch of Maldon sea salt.
Starting from the long end, roll the dough up tightly, then cut in two. Coil each part into a bundle.
And finally roll out the snail into a flat circle.
Heat a tablespoon of vegetable oil into a frying pan and cook the pancake for two mintes on each side.
Cut into wedges and serve with a dipping sauce. And when I say dipping sauce, I really mean Sriracha.

Now, what’s your favourite use for Sriracha? And have you tried making your own?

17 thoughts on “On water and flour – Cong you bing or green onion pancakes

• Michael @ Herbivoracious June 14, 2011 at 11:23 pm

Those are one of my all time favorite items at a Chinese restaurant, but I’ve never made them at home. I’ve seen other recipes that use a yeasted dough; this seems a lot simpler and therefore appealing.

• Joy June 15, 2011 at 12:02 am

I didn’t know this was possible home made! I love your illustrations so much!

• vanillasugarblog June 15, 2011 at 12:55 am

this is such a simple way of preparing them.
    must give this one a go.

• Lucia June 15, 2011 at 10:54 am

Everytime I hear something about kneading I freak out a bit. Maybe I should try to overcome this fear with your delicious spring onion pancakes :-)

• Marla June 15, 2011 at 1:46 pm

I love your blog….the best discovery today :) These savory pancakes look wonderful!

• Jen H June 15, 2011 at 2:17 pm

I love scallion pancakes and have been looking for a recipe, this one sounds perfect and is something I’ll absolutely have to try!

• milk&cookies June 15, 2011 at 2:30 pm

also delicious dipped in a sauce of soy, chinese black vinegar, and chili oil.

• Jane June 15, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Thanks!!!

• Yuki June 15, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Thanks, I love pancakes! Try out the vegan blueberry pancake too, it taste as delicious as your green onion pancakes!!!

• Steve June 16, 2011 at 5:11 am

Yum ! My mum often makes this !
    Fanny, c’est toi qui a dessiné la bouteille de sriracha ? C’est trop bien fait ! By the way, I like dipping the “ha kao” in this sauce.

• Jessica June 16, 2011 at 7:59 pm

This sounds great! I recently got some Himalayan pink salt from Sustainable Sourcing https://secure.sustainablesourcing.com and I’ll have to try it out in this recipe. Thanks for sharing!

• apaler1 June 20, 2011 at 4:57 pm

I put sriracha on noodles, whatever kind they are. Japanese, Chinese, instant cup noodles, whatever! I love the kick it gives the dish. These pancakes are definitely a must try for this hot sauce. Thank you for the recipe!

• lise June 21, 2011 at 4:48 am

I just LOVE love love your blogs! Just found you and am so happy! Sweet!
    Many many returns and anticpate reading and seeing much more!

• Solenne June 28, 2011 at 12:56 pm

I lived in China during 6 months, and these pancakes was one of the very few good things to eat. I always wanted to try this recipe, thanks!

• cathy July 3, 2011 at 11:14 pm

i. LOVE. this. absolute favorite thing to eat in taiwan.

thanks for the reminder of what i need to eat soon.

hope you’re having a nice summer!

• minik October 6, 2015 at 11:36 pm

Gah, this recipe didn’t work for me today :( The dough teared up while rolling out… Everyone said it was tasty though, so thank you anyway!

• Fanny October 6, 2015 at 11:45 pm

Hi Minik, I’m sorry it didn’t! Maybe next time – if there is one :) – rub a little more oil on both your counter and your rolling pin before rolling the dough out. I hope that will help. X