Oops # 5 – Un gâteau cassé et une glace au cake crumb

[A broken cake, and a cake crumb ice-cream]

broken cake

I am not patient. Or scared to burn my fingers. So this was bound to happen one day or another.

Yes, let this cake be a reminder that impatience and hot cakes don’t compute.

While I may never learn; I’ll have some cake crumb vanilla ice-cream in my freezer, for when the “good cake-half” will have been devoured.

Cake crumb ice-cream

I can hardly call it a recipe; and yet, I’m going to go ahead and do it.

Let thaw some good vanilla ice-cream – from which a few spoonfuls have already disappeared, if not, proceed to do so first – in your fridge for around 10-20 minutes until soft but not melted. In the meantime, place the cake crumbs on a baking tray lined with baking paper, and freeze.
Once the ice-cream is soft, quickly mix in the frozen cake crumbs (now is a good time to drizzle with COLD salted caramel sauce or fudge sauce) and return the tub to the freezer. Pretend nothing ever happened.

And since I’ve told you about the salted caramel sauce and fudge sauce, I think it wouldn’t be fair not to share their recipes.

Salted caramel sauce

170 g caster sugar
275 g whipping cream
110 g glucose syrup
3/4 tsp sea salt
50 g milk chocolate, chopped
75 g butter
, cubed

In a large pan, cook the sugar over low heat until dark amber. In the meantime, bring the cream, glucose, and salt to the boil; and set aside.
When the caramel is ready, pour the cream in three times off the heat, whisking as you do so. Be very careful as the mixture will spit and bubble. Return to the stove and cook to 106°C.
Set aside for 10 minutes or so, then handblend the chocolate in the caramel, then the butter one piece at a time. Blitz for a further 5 minutes. Transfer to a clean glass jar, close the lid tightly, and allow to cool down completely.
This sauce will keep in the fridge for a month.

Fudge sauce

400 g whipping cream
100 g butter
250 g dark brown sugar
2 tsp cocoa powder
3/4 tsp sea salt
150 g milk chocolate

Bring the cream, butter, sugar, cocoa powder and salt to the boil in a medium pan. Place the chocolate in a bowl; and pour the cream mixture over in three times, emulsifying well after each addition. Place in a clean glass jar, close the lid tightly, and allow to cool down completely.
This sauce will keep in the fridge for a month.

I will tell you more about the cake very soon. But I believe you should know that it’s made with filmjölk [fermented milk], graham flour, and vanilla seeds and sugar. And yes, it’s earthy, fragrant, and delicate.

What do you do with your broken cakes (if you ever have any, perhaps it’s just me!)?

10 thoughts on “Oops # 5 – Un gâteau cassé et une glace au cake crumb

• Virginia May 17, 2015 at 9:37 pm

I think it happened to me one time, I was an impatient little girl.. I was so upset that I learned to wait the cooling of the cake before un molding! Anyway we ate the cake crumbs in a sort of tiramisu :-) Your cake looks very yummy, crumbs or not :-)

• Mischelle May 17, 2015 at 11:35 pm

When I made a broken chocolate cake, I ate half (thank the heavens for broken cakes!) then made a truffle cake with a leftover ganache (break the cake more then mix with ganache) and also pretend nothing happened :)

• Marie May 18, 2015 at 9:39 am

Ah ah ! I’ve done that quite a few times as well… But seriously, who wants to wait for their cake to cool down before eating it ??!
    When it happens though, I use the crumbs by drying them out in the oven a little bit, then add a bit of butter and demerara sugar and scatter the mixture on top of a fruit compote. A few minutes in the oven and you have it : 5 minute fruit crumble :)

• fanny May 26, 2015 at 6:40 pm

That sounds wonderful Marie. Merci for the tip! x

• Paula May 18, 2015 at 10:11 am

I can’t wait even 10 minutes to unmold!!!!

Usually, when it happens, we eat quickly the ugly part of the cake, as if we don’t want anyone see it has happened. But I prefer your idea of using it in another dessert, and not eating just on the counter.

• fanny May 26, 2015 at 6:39 pm

Haha, I know that eat the broken part quickly trick all too well ;) x

• Arturo May 25, 2015 at 8:49 am

What does the Milk Chocolat do in the Salted caramel recipe? That is interesting!

• fanny May 26, 2015 at 6:36 pm

Hi Arturo,
      the milk chocolate I like to use for this is – of course either Andoa or Jivara. I’ve found – inspired by Valrhona’s Dulcey caramel recipe – that by replacing some of the butter by milk chocolate, the texture of the finished caramel is less chewy and somehow has more bite.

It is as – you of course know – due to the different melting points of butter and cocoa butter. And really, I recommend you try it. xx

• Arturo May 26, 2015 at 9:37 pm

I will try it, thank you. It is the details that make the difference!

• Justyna June 6, 2015 at 10:30 am

I know the feeling… I may never learn to be patient enough. But I always… always have to pay. Pastry never forgives.