PS. We picked apples and made cider. Oh and an apple cake too!

apple cider cake

One morning, we woke up to lights through the wooden blinds barely covering never-ending windows. Coffee got made. And we sat on the steps overlooking the garden. Early signs of autumn, drawn to the earth in the shape of dew that made our feet wet as we walked to the apple tree.

Apples as white as snow. His dad said they were called Transparentes blanches. And I really wanted to believe him so I proceeded to do so. I picked a few. Held them in my dress. Peeled them and cored them, with a small knife. Sliced them with the very same knife. And layered them with honey. I whisked eggs into butter and sugar. Eggs paler than the milkyway above our heads the night before. And added wholewheat flour and cinnamon just so. The cake went into the oven and we went fly-fishing by the river. We saw grown-up salmons jump, and tiny frogs too. I was taught how to say liten groda and it meant so much more. We picked blueberries, but you already know that.

So yes, we picked apples and made cider. Cider for in a few months. And I made an apple cake. For dinner that night. It came with vanilla ice-cream from a tub. And I remember how we cut into it with a knife.

7 thoughts on “PS. We picked apples and made cider. Oh and an apple cake too!

• Belle October 21, 2013 at 9:45 am

Hi Fanny. I love your beautiful writing, which is always so dreamy and poetic. I love your photographs and your recipes too. Well, I just want to let you know that you have been such an inspiration (which I’m pretty sure many had said that to you already). I have been following you since your foodbeam days, and will always continue to look forward to your next post.

• Lucia October 21, 2013 at 6:16 pm

C’est toujours un plaisir de lire tes mots: elles dansent et elles dessinent endroits où on voudrait vivre.

• amber October 27, 2013 at 8:07 pm

i adore your blog so much! beautiful writing. love this post. i love apple season!

• Eva October 29, 2013 at 12:25 am

I can’t believe you’re back. It was worth waiting for it!

• Austin December 23, 2013 at 1:47 am

I made this apple cake today and it was divine! I was doubtful at the use of Maldon for the cake but the bursts of salt were perfect. One of my new favorites.

• Shooting-star wishes | like a strawberry milk February 3, 2014 at 10:57 pm

[…] we had laughing. – that day spent on the island. Diving and taking mostly-horrible pictures. – when we picked apples and made cider. – that day we got lost in Richmond park. – that day we got lost in each […]

• Rhubarb custard squares • like a strawberry milk June 24, 2015 at 4:38 pm

[…] Soon, potato flowers will come. And garlic and onions too. And by the end of the summer, there will be enough apples in the tree for Svante to make forty litres of cider and a few apple cakes. […]