Comme la rosée des matins d’été – Confiture de concombre à la vanille

[Not unlike summer morning dew – Cucumber and vanilla jam]

I walked in mud and bought some vintage tupperwares at a vide-grenier. I saw waves bigger than life. I felt them too. And heard the music they make as they crash into the sand.

I painted feathers onto a white porcelain plate. And abstract watercolours too.

And really, there is no feeling that matches creating something with your hands.

I admired raindrops on leaves. Not unlike jewels. Not unlike summer mornings dew.

I made brioche, two loaves of it. One of the quick kind, the other of the twenty-four-hour-slow kind. Both were eaten with cucumber and vanilla jam, generously spread – or perhaps, more accurately: dolloped.

And I remembered how much I love to make jams. Even more so when it takes barely five minutes. The secret is called Confisuc and although I know how to live without it, I must admit it makes things easier.

Grated cucumbers marinated with pectin sugar and more vanilla than you’d think necessary for a couple of hours. On the stove for five minutes. In the fridge for an hour.

And breakfast is served.

Confiture de concombre à la vanille
Adapted from Elle à table n°51

This recipe is seriously easy. “Deux temps, trois mouvements”, as we say in French.

It made me dig through the books at my parents home, looking for the one book you should have if you love jams: Christine Ferber’s Confitures.
And I’ve been reading it. A lot. So expect some breakfast treat around here!

This jam tastes like vanilla with the subtle freshness of cucumber. You should try it, it’s pretty amazing.

Confiture de concombre à la vanille

makes one pot

250g peeled and grated cucumber (from 2 medium cucumbers)
175g jam sugar
seeds from one vanilla pod

Place all the ingredients in a medium pan and stir well. Marinate for two hours.
Over high heat, bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes or until the jam coats the back of a cold metal spoon. Transfer to a clean jar, close the lid and allow the jam to cool upside-down.
Chill and keep in the fridge.

36 thoughts on “Comme la rosée des matins d’été – Confiture de concombre à la vanille

• Anne's Kitchen May 24, 2012 at 11:49 am

Wow, that sounds super interesting! Love the idea! Et je viens juste de lire le Tweet de Griottes qui dit que tu vas publier un livre?! Wow, congrats, that’s amazing! Well done girl!

• miuccia May 24, 2012 at 11:52 am

I never heard about confiture de concombre. It sounds delicious. thanks so much for sharing.

• chriesi May 24, 2012 at 11:55 am

Love it!

• argone May 24, 2012 at 11:57 am

C’est intriguant comme recette, j’essaierais bien !! merci

• christelle is flabbergasting May 24, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Je me demande ce que ça goûte !? Ça m’intrigue, je vais devoir essayer (étalé sur une tranche de ta brioche 5 minutes !) Et sinon, comment va minicookbook? ;)

• Emma-zucchero e zenzero May 24, 2012 at 3:15 pm

I want it! :)

• Zita @ Zizi's Adventures May 24, 2012 at 3:37 pm

I love this combination: cucumber and vanilla! How great! I know what pektin & what sugar is. But you can’t buy it in Hungary. Individually how many grams of sugar & pektin would you use?

Hi Zita, I would try: 170g sugar, 4g pectin NH, and 2g citric acid. xx

• Magda May 24, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Cucumber and vanilla. I must try this. Thanks, Fanny!

• b.wak May 24, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Bon je n’ai toujours pas fait les scones… Du coup, je me dis que je pourrais faire une pierre deux coups en deux temps trois mouvements… mouhhaha

Non sérieux, j’aime énormément l’idée. Il faut vraiment que j’essaye. I’m curious!!

Aaaah encore et toujours nos bonnes expressions adorées! Merci pour ce commentaire qui m’a mis du baume au coeur. Et peut être même du chaume au beurre. x

• Cindy May 25, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Just added it to my do-to list for next week! :)

• Lucia May 28, 2012 at 11:18 am

Cucumber and vanilla. A to-try marriage.

• Aïda May 28, 2012 at 6:05 pm

Yummi! (et c’est pas ironique en plus!)

• Julia May 31, 2012 at 10:10 am

This sounds totally interesting! I will give it a try!

• Like a day at the beach – Cucumber melon jam « nadel&gabel June 20, 2012 at 11:54 am

[…] adapted with some major modifications from Fannys recipe […]

• Ana y Blanca June 30, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Delicioso! Os invitamos a conocer nuestro blog http://juegodesabores.blogspot.com.es/

• Janice August 17, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Love this idea, so original.

• Afternoon Tea Cupcakes {Cucumber + Champagne} | thelittleloaf August 20, 2012 at 8:07 am

[…] champagne was a must, then the idea developed into individual cupcakes and finally I found this, a recipe for cucumber […]

• Choclette August 20, 2012 at 7:45 pm

Who would have thought of cucumber jam, but you have made it look so beautiful, I now find it immensely appealing and want to make some right away.

• Toni October 8, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Must be an acquired taste. I made this and while it’s beautiful to look at, and didn’t care for the taste.

• Josje February 13, 2013 at 1:37 pm

It tasted lovely. Great combination with goat’s cheese and walnuts…

• Bocaditos rellenos de mermelada de pepino con glaseado de lima y Vodka | Bake-Street May 6, 2013 at 4:02 pm

[…] La receta de mermelada de pepino la vi en Comme un lait Fraise. […]

• ins glas geflüstert: gurkenmarmelade | glasgefluester September 16, 2013 at 4:03 pm

[…] und das Rezept für drei Minigläschen dieser feinen Marmelade: Das Rezept habe ich vom blog “like a strawberry milk“ Bitte schaut euch unbedingt die Fotos dort an- es ist wunderhübsch […]

• Okurková marmeláda s vanilkou | Minty Finty November 3, 2013 at 12:31 pm

[…] salátové okurky 175 g želírovacího cukru 1 vanilkový lusk oproti původnímu receptu jsem ještě přidala šťávu z půlky […]

• Uborkadzsem | Feljegyzések a konyhából April 3, 2014 at 11:15 am

[…] ugyanazon a napon születtünk, mert nem bírja elképzelni az ízét. UBORKADZSEM FANNY NYOMÁN  500 g uborka – tisztán mérve 230 g cukor 1½ ek pektin ½ tk vaníliapaszta 1 db […]

• Renee July 20, 2014 at 2:33 pm

We do not have jam sugar in Canada – do you know how much pectin to add to sugar to make this?

• Hillary July 31, 2014 at 4:23 pm

If you increase the cucumber to 4 C. & adjust the sugar & vanilla accordingly, it will take 1 box (3 TBSP) of powdered pectin or 2/3 C. of liquid pectin.

• Kristen August 19, 2015 at 12:03 am

I cannot get pectin sugar in Texas either. Thanks for the info. Do you have any idea on how much sugar and vanilla would be needed with the four cups of cucumber and box of powdered pectin?

• Elisabeth October 8, 2015 at 10:32 pm

For people in Canada (and maybe the USA), I used “Redpath Quickset for jams”, which seems to be pretty similar to Confisuc (sugar, pectin and citric acid). It worked perfectly.

• Herumgurken, Teil 1 | The Little Owl August 14, 2014 at 9:34 pm

[…] Hier das Rezept für Gurkenmarmelade mit Vanille oder Confiture de concombre à la Vanille (ergibt 2 kleine Gläser; gesehen bei Glasgeflüster hier und bei Like a Strawberry Milk hier) […]

• Herumgurken, Teil 1: Gurkenmarmelade mit Vanille | The Little Owl August 19, 2014 at 8:20 pm

• Check out these 12 tasty cucumber recipes! August 8, 2015 at 4:24 pm

[…] Cucumber Vanilla Jam | Like a Strawberry Milk – I was so thankful to find this recipe in English because I was afraid it wasn’t going to be since most of the website is not.  This is different but a very yummy and unique recipe! […]

• Kristen August 19, 2015 at 12:12 am

I can’t wait to give out jars of this recipe as party favors for an upcoming garden party. It’s so original! I was wondering if this recipe could be canned for unrefrigerated storage? I would love to can it using the powdered pectin conversions listed above. I have a water and pressure canner. Also, should I add lemon juice for canning? Thank you for the help.

• Anais October 18, 2015 at 11:49 am

Great great great! J’ai préparé mes petits pots de confiture hier et je dois dire que ce matin je suis ravie !
    Cependant, moi qui fait attention a ma ligne (oui, bon..) et qui ne suis pas trop branchée sucre, je pense qu’il est possible de reduire de maniere assez importante la quantité de sucre dans la recette, et pourquoi pas rajouter quelques zestes de citron :) Apres, c’est plutôt une question de goûts ! Mais la recette originale est merveilleuse :D

• [Resep] 4 Selai dengan rasa unik untuk lezatkan rotimu | BeOL.asia January 8, 2016 at 8:59 am

[…] disadur dari: Like a Strawberry Milk via […]

• Comme la rosée des matins d’été – Confiture de concombre à la vanille • like a strawberry milk – Pot Gardening Info October 8, 2016 at 5:55 am

[…] Previous Previous post: Growing Tomatoes In Pots – How To Grow Tomatoes Indoors Or PatiosNext Next post: How to Grow Bell Peppers in Pots | Complete Growing Guide Search for: […]

• 10 DIY hostess gifts to make last minute - Kittenhood November 22, 2016 at 7:00 pm

[…] I’ve never heard of something as delicious and simple as this cucumber confiture from Comme une Lait Fraise – 6. Make can a batch of quince muffins, enjoyed by grownups and kids […]