Those three words – Gelée d’huile d’olives

[Olive oil jelly]

In autumn, with figs, a young brillat-savarin curd, and a warm sponge so full of vanilla seeds it’s almost grey. Perhaps, a few toasted and salted almonds for crunch.

In winter, with caramelised apples, a white chocolate granita – not unlike snow, crystallised rosemary, and fresh apple bubbles. And maybe, a few baby quenelles of croissant ice-cream. But that’s just a thought.

In spring, with strawberries and a hibiscus sorbet. Or flapjack ice-cream. Oh yes, flapjack ice-cream sounds good.

In summer, with candied tomatoes. And a simple vanilla ice-cream. Or with an apricot roasted in basil syrup, honeyed kataifi, pistachios, and honey ice-cream.

It all started one night, when J. mentioned those three words. Olive. Oil. Jelly.

It was last week. Ever since, I haven’t stopped thinking about all the desserts I could make with it.
I mean, my favourite summer snack is vanilla ice-cream with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of fleur de sel after all.

So we’ve been working, trying to find out how to turn pungent oil into a clear jelly.

And somehow, I think we’ve gotten there. After many failed experiments.

Gelée d’huile d’olive
It is not perfect, by any means. In fact, I wish it would be slightly clearer. Perhaps, using isomalt instead of sugar for the syrup.
But this will be for another experiment. In the meantime, a wobbly olive oil jelly. A bit too sweet. A bit too cloudy. And yet, terribly good.

Gelée d’huile d’olive

2 1/2 leaves (5g) gelatine
50g water
80g caster sugar
one tsp (10g) glucose syrup
100g extra virgin olive oil

Soak the gelatine leaves into ice-cold water.
In a pan, bring the water, sugar and glucose syrup to the boil. Squeeze the gelatine leaves and whisk in. Then, slowly pour the olive oil, emulsifying with a whisk or an immersion blender as you do so.
Pour into a container or spread onto acetate for a jelly sheet. Chill for a couple of hours. Cut into dice or other…

16 thoughts on “Those three words – Gelée d’huile d’olives

• Irene January 18, 2012 at 11:47 pm

wow…What an interesting experiment…how would you use it for?

I would use it as part of a plated dessert. Either in a very thin sheet covering fruits and cream dollops or cut into small cubes. You can find an example of flavour combinations at the beginning of the post. But the uses are endless!
  • christelle is flabbergasting January 19, 2012 at 3:21 am

Rooohlalala j’adore l’idée ! Avec quoi tu sers ça ? Ça se suffit à elle-même cette gelée ?
    ps. Glace vanille + huile d’olive + fleur de sel = amour

Contente que tu aimes bien. Pour les utilisations c’est sans fin. De mon cote je l’itiliserai comme element d’un dessert.
  • chriesi January 19, 2012 at 6:56 am

Fabulous and your ideas are simply brilliant, especially that “thought”, I can see it right in front of my eyes and I am in love.

• miuccia January 19, 2012 at 5:21 pm

I want to touch it. and taste it needless to say. <3

• Delphine January 19, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Il n’y a que toi pour faire des choses pareilles ! Mais ta description me fait tellement envie que je serais prête à goûter (à condition qu’il y ait une boule de glace vanille :))
    Des bises !
    Delphine

• Nuts about food January 20, 2012 at 10:39 am

What a marvellous idea! And that colour…

• Lucia January 21, 2012 at 10:30 am

J’aime la couleur: ça me rechauffe.

• lis January 21, 2012 at 6:24 pm

beautiful. i definitely see a crunchy nut next to this. and maybe a hard cheese.
    loads of crystally,crunch to go with…

• Aïda January 23, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Tu m’étonneras toujours toi! <3

• LeChatdeSucre January 24, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Beautiful! I have to try it…i have a few liters of oil left from my aunt’s farm…good tuscan oil! Can’t wait! Thank you, Fanny!

• Amanda Selbach January 28, 2012 at 3:57 pm

I just love it!!!! I just love you!!!

Me toooo. xx

• Austin January 28, 2012 at 6:21 pm

I would think that this would be great as a center for Pierre’s Olive Oil and Vanilla macaron, I’ll try experimenting.

Great, let me know how it turns out. But I think it would be a perfect addition to an otherwise fantastic macaron.

• Marie January 29, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Très tentée de vivre toutes ces saisons en accéléré pour tester les combinaisons proposées! Bon, je vais être patiente…surtout que dans mes placards je n’ai même pas de syrop de glucose…

• Sara January 31, 2012 at 1:26 pm

What a neat idea–you are so creative! Maybe not perfect, but definitely a gelee, you have the video to prove it. (And, I don’t think anyone would complain).

• poppycorn February 9, 2012 at 6:08 pm

I have been obsessing over this “warm sponge so full of vanilla seeds it’s almost grey”…

• Rick February 23, 2012 at 1:57 am

That colorful, impressionistic drawing of an olive oil tin is absolutely beautiful. I’m wondering where it comes from?