Bonjour novembre

[Hello November]

Is it just me, or do you also feel like that – more than any other month – tarts belong to November?

It usually happens without a warning. And without a calendar.

A day or so after waiting on the sidewalk – jumping, whistling, screaming – for a cab to have its light on. Oh yes, it is indeed the thirty-first of October, with its thrills taken onto the streets.

Doughs are made; in a music that goes along the lines of pâte brisée, pâte sucrée, pâte feuilletée. Wrapped in clingfilm, and kept in the fridge or in the freezer.

Then they get rolled. And topped with those autumn fruits that taste like nights by the fireplace.

The unofficial November tart-list.

1. Pecan tart. In fact, as I’m writing this, I have this one in the oven. Without the addition of chocolate chips.
2. The perfect tarte tatin. Possibly with a lot of butter and sugar. And maldon sea salt, just so.
3. Pumpkin pie. Because, I can’t really stay away from it.
4. A caramelised garlic focaccia.
5. Christophe Felder‘s chocolate clafoutis. Certainly not a tart, but we’ll pretend it is for the sake of winter leggings and furry boots.
6. A Japanese cheesecake. With matcha.
7. Quiche, and its mushrooms, lard crust and emmental by the kilogram.
8. Triple chocolate tart. Yes, I’m that much of a chocolate lover.
9. An eggless stabiliser-less ice-cream base recipe. Oooh well, I hear tarts and ice-cream belong to each other.
10. Cloud-shaped choux. Because pastry + filling = tart-ish. Noooow, I’m the tart right?

And because no matter how deep we are in the tart-making, we all need a reliable pâte brisée recipe. Mine comes from my grand-mother.

A treasure, by any mean.

Pâte brisée de grand-mère

makes 900g of dough

In a large bowl, combine 500g of plain flour with a heaped teaspoon of salt. Rub in 250g of cold butter until sandy. Mix in 2 egg yolks and enough cold water to bind the flour into a dough (around 70 to 90g). Work until just smooth. Divide into two balls. Clingfilm and chill for at least an hour.

For a sweet pâte brisée, simply add 40g of caster sugar and the seeds from one vanilla pod.

16 thoughts on “Bonjour novembre

• Christina November 1, 2011 at 9:52 pm

I love the gentle, romantic feel of your posts! Reading your lists always inspires me (in this case, to double my caloric intake). Bonjour novembre indeed. Thank you for maintaining such a great website!

• Sally - My Custard Pie November 2, 2011 at 4:57 am

Lovely post and I adore a good tart but I slowed down and savoured this one: Quiche, and its mushrooms, lard crust and emmental by the kilogram – that’s my kind of quiche. Recipe please.

• Laura November 2, 2011 at 8:59 am

lard crust? who said lard crust? YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

• Y November 2, 2011 at 10:38 am

Ooh, I especially love the sound of cloud-shaped choux!

• Caffettiera November 2, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Not only is this post lovely as usual – I also must thank you for the link to Diana Desserts. I did not know the site and I am just loving it!

• Sonnda November 2, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Would you translate Christophe Felder‘s chocolate clafoutis for us? French to English? Looks like the perfect antidote to UK winters.

• Sara November 3, 2011 at 7:48 pm

I’m not sure tarts have a season, at least for me, but there’s definitely pies and tarts I’ve held off on making while summer’s fruits were with us. Now it is time for a change–pumpkin, nut, creamy custards and chocolate! (Chocolate clafoutis? I agree, who cares if it’s not technically a tart).

• Camila Faria November 6, 2011 at 2:35 pm

I’m so glad I found your blog today! It’s really beautiful, congratulations. I can’t wait to try some of your lovely and yummy recipes.

• Run Fast Travel Slow November 7, 2011 at 2:05 am

Lovely theme for a post — and I couldn’t agree more. Just yesterday, I was rolling out my own pie crust recipe for pumpkin pie.

• Lucia November 7, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Peanut Butter pie. Pumpkin pie. Apple pie. Simple sugar pie. November pies. Love them. Love this November smell.

• Bobbi November 8, 2011 at 12:18 am

What an inspiring list–thank you! Pears, pecans, pumpkin…come one, come all.

• Moya November 13, 2011 at 7:00 pm

The pastry sounds good and good ideas for the fillings.

• Solenne November 14, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Wahou!!!! That looks awesome!

• watermeloun November 26, 2011 at 5:26 am

Mon dieu ça a l’air délicieux !!

• Maitriser la pâte brisée, pas à pas – Mastering shortcrust pastry, step by step | like a strawberry milk February 13, 2014 at 8:07 am

[…] had already shared the recipe. But as I made it for a quiche a couple of weeks ago, I couldn’t help but do some animated […]

• Plum and cream tart | Fish, chips & gelato April 23, 2014 at 8:42 pm

[…] from a gooseberry tart by the Telegraph. Pastry adapted from Like a Strawberry Milk. Makes a 21-22 cm […]